Monday, May 30, 2011

spreading the love - my homemade spreadable butter

a year ago while grocery shopping, i decided to buy a couple of spreadable butter because it was on sale (half the price!). my hubby asked me: "why do you have to buy that when you can make your own?" i gave him a weird look like he doesn't know what he was talking about. then weeks later, my co-worker told me that she makes her own spreadable butter. she gave me instructions & i have been making it eversince.

for my recipe, i use a pound of unsalted butter & a cup of olive oil. i usually soften the butter at room temperature in the morning & by night time it will be ready for mixing. using a hand held electric mixer, beat the oil & butter until smooth. i start at low then gradually work my way to the highest setting. the reason for this is avoiding a lot of splatter from the mixture. after blending, you can transfer it in any container & refrigerate right away.

quick & easy! it saved us a lot of money & definitely a healthier option.

2 comments:

  1. Do you find the olive oil imparts any taste? I normally buy the Land O Lakes spreadable butter, which we really like. But I'm curious about the idea of doing it at home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi lwh! honestly, no olive oil after taste. for starters, make a smaller batch & use less olive oil. try to see if that will work for you.

    ReplyDelete