i finally did it! my first ever cake & frosting made from scratch. i have to admit that the whole baking process was nerve wracking. [i think any novice at baking will share my sentiment]. but practice makes perfect, so here goes my first attempt.
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cups cocoa powder
- 2 tsps baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup half & half
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup freshly brewed hot coffee (1 tsp coffee w/ 1 cup water)
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
1. in a bowl, mix flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
2. in a separate bowl, mix half & half, oil, eggs & vanilla.
3. add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. then pour the hot coffee. mix well.
4. pour the batter equally in 2 round pans. bake in a preheated oven at 350F for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
5. cream the butter & sugar for about 3 minutes until it is light & fluffy. slowly add the cocoa. add vanilla & half & half.
6. completely cool the cake before frosting.
i got the original recipe from baked bree. i cut down the amount of sugar & made substitutions on some ingredients. i need more practice with frosting for sure. this is certainly a recipe keeper for me.
overall, its a very moist cake. my hubby's family enjoyed it as well. i'm giving myself a good pat on the shoulder. i can't help but smile while eating the cake [because honestly, it was delicious].