and i finally did it! i baked my first cookies! yep, made from scratch [except the icing-which is my next mission]. i have said before that baking intimidates me. it still does. so i'm always on the lookout for easy & simple baking recipes. for this one, i credit the blog baked bree. she has a lot of amazing ideas for cooking & baking. [i did her apple pie too].
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 sticks butter - room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- a pinch salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon & a dash of nutmeg [my own tweak]
- betty crocker cookie icing & sprinkles for decorating
1. in a bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. [i used a hand mixer & it was about 10 minutes]. then, add vanilla & egg. mix until combined.
2. in a separate bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, salt, cinnamon & nutmeg.
3. add the butter mixture slowly. mix until incorporated.
4. wrap dough in saran wrap & chill for 30 minutes or until firm.
5. roll out the dough in a flat surface.
6. cut with a cookie cutter. [i used a 2.5 inch cutter].
7. line each one in a cookie tray. bake for 8-10 minutes in a preheated 350F oven.
8. remove from tray & cool completely.
honestly, i am not an icing fan [nor is my hubby]. we already love eating the cookies like this. but since i am giving this to family & friends, i have to finish it off with some icing & sprinkles.
i am so proud of myself! i really thought this would be a baking disaster. it turned out perfect. one thing i learned, baking cookies is very therapeutic for me.
i hope everybody enjoys my special treat!